Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How long were you taking HRT?

How long were you taking HRT, did it help and did you have any unpleasant symptoms when you came off the treatment?
Answer:
First time 5 years had a 2 year break been back on it for 8 months I know the risks but believe me my flushes were so bad it really was effecting my life
They kept me awake most of the night at least 3 flushes an hour in the day
I used to be soaking wet it was so uncomfortable and embarrassing when i was out
Hrt has been wonderful for me apart from putting on weight
In general all the licences for HRT restrict its first line use to relief of menopausal symptoms. That in itself should preclude extended use. Currently many doctors will now use the smallest possible dose shortest possible time regime.

The problem is that over the age of 50, among other risks HRT modestly increases the breast cancer risk.
The good doctor who replied has never experienced hot flashes, while I did. I am using HRT for 20 years now. After hysterectomy the hot flashes became unbearable, I tried to stop but I gave up. So my gynecologist (a woman) said I should continue taking the HRT because my well-being overlaps the danger of cancer of which I am aware. So you need to decide, its your responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net